Thursday 8 November 2007

Knitting

Thank you everyone for your wonderful support of my handcrafting. It's a fantabulous encouragement, believe you me.

Don't you love watching deadlines fly right on by? It happens often to crafters, I'm sure.

I'm no exception. I'm very much aware that I have a 'Frederick the Literate' cross stitch deadline of December 31, but I'm also aware that a more practical piece of handcraft has to be finished for the next Australian Winter: crown princess, Miranda's, cardigan that (technically) was her birthday gift back in August 2007.

One of the things I notice about some craft bloggers is the ability to commence projects of immense proportion & cost, but the rare announcement of a finish. People who do Martina Weber Châtelaine Mandala designs are particularly guilty. I can't believe the money people tie up but don't finish! Hence most of the time, I only do one hobby / handicraft: cross stitch. I can imagine the financial meltdown & the overflow of stash if I did more.

That's not to say that I never babble in other crafts for a short period. I do. It's usually for one particular thing rather than a sudden desire to 'do it all!'. For example, last week's beading. I had 'something' I specifically wanted to do as a Christmas gift, I did it, cleaned up the mess & am now done.

Sewing falls into this kind of category. I'm a sewer from way back. I've made it all - kids' clothes, housefuls of curtains, I even made my own 2005 wedding dress! Nowadays however, I only make one of my three daughters an outfit sometime during the year - & only if we cannot find a ready made that will do the job. This year, I made nothing.

Stop Bliss! Excuses, excuses, excuses! You are babbling. Just get on with telling your readers what you are doing right now instead of stitching that darned cat...

Right now as I said, I'm knitting my 26 year old crown princess a 'tartan' (read: sea green) coloured cardigan in the style above. I've done the back & half both fronts, so far. It won't take long. Miranda is somewhat 'retro' in her clothes choice and is long & classically fine with dark eyes and long black hair (I was often ased if, as a blonde, I was my children's stepmother or the babysitter) so this is going to look magnifique!

I'll post a picture of the actual article when the camera comes home from Montreal with Paul later in the week - yes, Montreal. I won't go into details of that here. You'll have to read those on my Daily Bliss blog

Bliss

3 comments:

Margaret said...

This is going to be gorgeous Bliss. Miranda is a lucky girl.

I'm frantically working on Frederick. Halfway through the horizontal lying book and back cover of book next to owl. Owlie will be the last thing I stitch as once again I'm running out of floss and may have to buy some additional. Then it is on to the finishing touches (there sure are a lot of them)!!!!

Will write you soon.

Anonymous said...

It sounds gorgeous. I'm looking forward to seeing the photo's when you get your camera back.

stitcherw said...

You've been a busy lady. Fredrick is looking great, that is such a cute project. Your beading looks like fun too, what a lovely necklace design.

The sweater looks like it will be awesome, very elegant. I can't wait to see a picture of it.

Thanks for worrying about me, I appreciate it. I'll try not to stay away so long again. The blog world is so supportive, it really does help to have online friends.
Sue