Wednesday 3 September 2008

Never too old

Wanted: Solar System to dictate

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream;
not only plan, but also believe.

Recently, I went to see a careers psychologist for a couple of sessions. I'm not overly fond of teaching high school kids and would like a change.

The outcome is that I need a solar system to dictate. My strengths are telling people what to do, it seems. Er ... setting goals, working out how to do them and then telling others to do them (the royal family - my off-spring - can relate to that). I'm very strongly analytical etc, but can't be bothered wasting time on persuasive techniques - no wonder I don't like teaching high schoolers. I have high expectations of the students which they don't have for themselves. It's also why I found nursing so frustrating at times (everyone telling me what to do but never wanting to listen to any observations I had made). I hated seeing people die who, if someone had listened early enough, could have been saved. It happened too many times.

Quite seriously, the psychologist said to start a post grad in medicine. With my personality, half the fun of it will be getting the qualification so it won't matter that I'll only practice for about 20 years. I'd love to be a surgeon. Gotta get in the stitching somewhere if I'm not working on my projects.

I'd also make a whiz bang systems engineer-slash-industrial psychologist. Yes, I can imagine me trouble shooting and working out how to fix stuff.

It's nice to know that all that study I'm doing at the moment isn't a waste; however, if I really want to be a librarian (I'm studying IT & info management), it will have to be one who is organising large acquisitions and collection takeovers cos the day to day minutia would become too repetitive.

Dreams pass into the reality of action. From the actions stems the dream again; and this interdependence produces the highest form of living.

No comments: