Thursday 26 February 2009

Bus driver takes out-of-control passengers to police station for dressing down

It's about time!
I found this article here

It's such a pity St Mary's administration has its head in the sand.

A VETERAN bus driver has driven his out-of-control student passengers to the police station for a dressing down.

Westside Bus Company driver Graham King said he had originally worried he might get into trouble over the incident, in which he drove unruly students from St Edmund's and St Mary's College at Ipswich to the Yamanto police station on Tuesday afternoon, The Courier-Mail reports.

"They were refusing to put seatbelts on," Mr King explained.

"They were told to sit down and behave themselves ... (but) within a couple of kilometres they were running around the bus and they started pegging things."

"Something hit me in the back of the head, which I didn't know at the time what it was, so I pulled over and stopped.

"I rang Operations and they asked me if it was dangerous, which it could have been if it had gone through the windscreen or knocked me out - we could have ended up having a serious accident."

The offending object turned out to be a hard-boiled lolly, but Mr King said it could just as easily have been a cricket ball.

"Safety is my biggest issue," he said.

"I don't know if you have ever seen where a child has gone through a windscreen or a glass window and seen what sort of mess (is made). Well I have .... and I don't want to see it again."

Ipswich Police District Inspector Kevin Keillor described Mr King's decision to involve them as "fantastic".

Insp Keillor said police had already attended two accidents involving school buses - including one fatal crash - in their district over the past couple of weeks and Mr King's action had ensured that there wasn't another.

St Edmund's College principal Brendan Lawler said Mr King's decision was a positive one and students now faced disciplinary action.

St Mary's College has denied their students were involved.

No comments: