Saturday 9 May 2009

Colours Down Under



Hi everyone.

Happy Mothers Day to all those who celebrate.

I've been very quiet this last week on the blog and comment side because The MOTH took me to Perth, Western Australia for 5 days of romance & stash shopping. How cool is he? The weekend of my birthday, I suggested that we take the May Day long weekend and go somewhere, & the next thing I knew he had booked us both on a flight clear across Australia so that we could have the getaway and he could still get to his Perth office on Tuesday morning (long live frequent flyer points!).

Needless to say, we had a great time together. Almost but not quite better still, when I kissed Paul goodbye for him to go to his office on Tuesday morning, I climbed the train and went to spend one of the best days of my stitching life with Janine Smith, proprietor of Colours Down Under, the most diverse cross stitch supply store I have ever yet visited worldwide (I kid you not), and the lady with the most wonderful personal stash & WIP collection that I have ever seen!

Janine was a true inspiration. She talked and talked & I listened and learned. At one stage I wished I could have filmed the visit just so that I could share some of the marvelous moments. I will never forget her sitting in 'The Blue Room' (which, by the way is yellow walled and covered with blue and white china & cross stitching) talking about Teresa Wentzler and her use of colours in her art. I was in awe of Janine just as she was in awe of Teresa!

Needless to say, my stash supply shelves have three more fat quarters & 4 new charts (not to mention the week before's efforts). I've also been encouraged to rotate a few WIPs rather than stick with my 'work-on-one project' plan. As Janine said: "What's finishing got to do with it? It's also about the joy of stitching, Felicity."

The above piece by Teresa Wentzler has been on my shelf ready to go for a while, but just last week I decided that it wouldn't 'fit' my house style-wise. Thanks to Janine & her fine example hanging on her wall, I'm dragging mine out again and am going to stitch it because I like it and because it celebrates the something special between me and The MOTH.

I've also started to grid a few pieces of fabric. I've got just one start to replace the mermaid at this stage: Rosa, an adaptation of a work by Marilyn Robertson. Also, I'm using the aida that came with the kit, but Janine taught me that it's OK to start again if the stitcher changes her mind.


In a week's time, we are off to New Zealand for a fortnight. If anyone on the north island wants a visit or can recommend some stash shopping (cross stitch or knitting) please let me know.

Happiness & laughter to one and all,

Felicity

8 comments:

Chiloe said...

I'm glad you had a nice getaway ;-)

I can rotate my stitching because there will always have a piece (or two or three) that will end up as an UFO ... Been there , done that so I think it cannot work for everybody ...

enjoy your stay in New Zealand ;-)

CindyMae said...

"What's finishing got to do with it? It's also about the joy of stitching, Felicity." That is a perfect phrase! I never thought of it like that before! I always worry bout getting it finished!

Anyway, it sounds like you had a wonderful time with the Moth!!! What a great guy!!! The time that you spent with Janine sounds just super fabulous!!

Chars said...

I am now more than ever looking forward to visiting with Janine when I come to Perth in August. I wish our visits could have clashed so that we could meet - but I am sure there will be another time and place.

I am stoked about winning the stash package :) Thanks :)

stitcherw said...

Sounds a wonderful time, so glad you had such fun. The TW piece is lovely, I'll enjoy seeing you post an update of your progress. While you may not think it goes with your decor now, it may later. Or, I have one room where I hang the pieces I love and that don't go anywhere else. I can stitch what calls to me and not worry where I'll put it, it can go there. That wall makes me smile with all its fun, non-matching, pieces. Congrats on your finish of Queen of the Sea, she turned out absolutely gorgeous.
Sue

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful getaway with The Moth - does you so much good to have a romantic break every once in a while ^^ and Janine sounds totally inspirational.

Olga said...

What a great getaway you had and your visit with Janine was so interesting! She is right: let's stitch and enjoy the process!

wichitastitcher said...

I am so glad you had the special time with Janine. I love talkind and discussing cross stitch.
Paula

Alberta said...

Janine's comment about "the joy of stitching" is so inspiring! As long as we enjoy our time with needle & floss, it's a great day.

Your DH is one very romantic guy...lucky you!