Sunday 19 February 2012

Reader's Input Needed





I'm putting together a tin of stitching necessities for a friend for her birthday.
You know the stuff I mean: what you use on a day-to-day stitching basis.

I'd like to know what you have in your sewing container/basket/tin/box and in what you hold it together.

I have a hinged toffee tin onto which I glued a magnet, as shown above, to hold my needles.
This either sits on my coffee table or fits easily into my handbag along with my current project when I go out.
In it I have: needles (embroidery & beading), scissors with a fob, a needle threader, a quick unpick (a seam ripper),
a reel of clolour-fast thread for guide lines, floss bobbins, Thead Heaven, a tape measure, tweezers and a highlighter.

Other things I have, which don't fit into the box include:
a stitching frame (which sometimes I use and sometimes I don't),
a good light which provides me with 'natural light' and
a supply of favourite DVDs and audio books to keep me company.

What else would you recommend? What do you think is unnecessary?

Please leave me your comments.

4 comments:

Margaret said...

What a great idea. I'm going to put one of these together for myself very soon. What a great gift idea - hope you don't mind if I steal it to make for a friend or two.

The only thing I can think of right now that you might want to add is a little ort container. Something like a little pill box might do the trick.

Alberta said...

I have a small tube of luxurious hand cream for AFTER I've stitched, it help works the tightness from my fingers as I enjoy its silkiness.

Shelley said...

There are only 2 things I can think of that I have that you don't have in your tin...a small tube of hand lotion that I can use while stitching...I use Udderly Smooth as it is not greasy and doesn't leave marks on my fabrics, the other item is a small ruler, maybe on 5 inches long. I use it when I start a new project so that I know I am leaving myself enough margin for framing on my fabric.

This is an awesome gift idea for any stitcher. I am sure your friend will love the surprise!!

Anonymous said...

as far as I can see, you've thought of everything - great idea for a gift